- Publisher: Essex Editions
- Available in: Paperback
- ISBN: 978-0996787079
- Published: November 21, 2017
Split Rock Wildway: Scouting the Adirondack Park’s Most Diverse Wildlife Corridor is a rambling look at some of the charismatic and enigmatic wildlife thriving in the wooded hills and adjacent waterways linking Lake Champlain with the High Peaks. Author John Davis and artist friends illustrate the ecological importance, conservation value, and natural beauty of the wildway and its many creatures. Residents and visitors alike will grow a little closer to their permanent or occasional wild neighbors, from salamanders to sturgeon to raptors to moose, as they stroll through the pages of Split Rock Wildway.
This book is intended to help better protect the lands and waters of Split Rock Wildway and the larger Adirondack Park. It is generously sponsored by Eddy Foundation, with a portion of sales benefiting Champlain Area Trails, Northeast Wilderness Trust, and other conservation groups.
Artists who contributed their photographs and illustrations to the book are Bill Amadon, Sheri Amsel, Larry Barns, Steven Kellogg, Roderick MacIver, Larry Master, and Kevin Raines.
About John Davis
John Davis lives with his family in Split Rock Wildway, where he care-takes Hemlock Rock Wildlife Sanctuary when not roaming farther afield. He is a volunteer land steward for Eddy Foundation, which has secured and opened to the public about 3,000 acres in the eastern Adirondacks; a board member of Champlain Area Trails and The Rewilding Institute; and a co-founder of Wildlands Network. He is the editor of many conservation publications and author of Big, Wild, and Connected: Scouting an Eastern Wildway from Florida to Quebec—about his 7,600-mile traverse of the proposed Eastern Wildway in 2011. His 5,000-mile traverse of the Rocky Mountains from Sonora, Mexico, to British Columbia, Canada, is featured in the film Born to Rewild.
In the News
- A plea for co-existing in the wild (Adirondack Daily Enterprise)
- Scouting the Adirondack Park’s Most Diverse Wildlife Corridor: A New Book by John Davis (Northeast Wilderness Trust Blog)
- ‘Split Rock’ provides a guided tour of wildlife corridor (Adirondack Daily Enterprise)
- Walk this Wildway (Press Republican)
- John Davis Launches Split Rock Wildway Book (BrettEssler.com)
- John Davis Publishes Book on Split Rock Wildway (Adirondack Almanack)
- Author advocates for puma population (Sun Community News)
- John Davis walks the walk for our wild neighbors (Adirondack Life)